1. What is DownTek™ Water Repellent Down? DownTek™ Water Repellent Down is down that has been treated with our water-repellent-nano-treatment. We employ a proprietary application method instead of a bath treatment, thereby eliminating waste run-off.
2. How does it work? When regular down is exposed to moisture, the moisture droplets cling to the filaments of the down cluster, forcing the down to collapse in on itself. When wet, regular down loses its ability to insulate because the pockets of air that provide insulation collapse. Air pockets on the down clusters of DownTek™ Water Repellent Down do not collapse. The nano treatment creates surface tension on the surface area of the treated down clusters. This surface tension forces the moisture molecules to bead up and roll off the down, leaving each cluster free to continue trapping warm air, thereby maintaining the ability to insulate even when wet.
3. Does it make the down heavy? The nano treatment used for DownTek™ Water Repellent Down adds no discernible weight to the down.
4. Is DownTek™ Water Repellent Down safe? DownTek™ Water Repellent Down uses a C6 carbon chain PFC. The EPA has researched C6 PFCs and found they generally have a very short half-life, so they are not persistent in the environment like the C8 PFCs. DownTek™ is PFOA and PFOS-free.
5. What about traceability and sustainability? Down Decor® is committed to the principles of sustainability and traceability, and the ethical treatment of birds. Each of our factories are RDS certified, continuing a longstanding tradition of maintaining the highest ethical standards in our business.
6. Why would my customers want a product containing DownTek™ Water Repellent Down? Consumers are quickly discovering the benefits to having climate versatility from their down products. Having the option to wear a down jacket in the rain or snow, and being able to camp in inclement weather without worrying about keeping your sleeping bag dry is changing the way consumers view down. DWR down will soon become the standard instead of the exception in the down industry. We believe DownTek™ Water Repellent Down is the best DWR down on the market and we plan to continue setting the standard.